![]() |
![]() |
||||||||
Spanglefish Gold Status Expired 21/02/2015. | ||||||||
About the parish
|
![]() |
Postcard of the original church. Newton House is on the right behind the tree. |
The beautiful church, designed by Pugin, was dedicated by Cardinal Manning on July 16, 1866.
This church, with the top floor of the adjoining priory, was completely destroyed by incendiary bombs on the night of February 20, 1944. The priory, having suffered considerable water damage, was again struck by incendiaries on the night of March 11, 1944
![]() |
Remains of the High Altar after the bombing on Feb. 20, 1944 |
By mid-June a chapel to seat 300 people was formed in the priory by modifying the ground floor area. The community continued to celebrate Mass there until 1960 when the new church, designed by Sir Giles Scott, was opened by Cardinal Godfrey on January 31.
![]() |
Interior of the present church |
Cardinal Heenan requested the Discalced Carmelites to accept the surrounding parish in 1966.
Map
For a map of the parish please click here.